You have the responsibility to compensate your employees properly.
Unless exempt, you must pay your employees overtime pay of at least 1.5 times their regular rate of pay after 40 hours of work in a seven-day workweek. There is no limit on the number of hours employees aged 16 and older may work in any workweek. Federal law doesn’t require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest unless overtime hours are worked on such days.
Questions? We’re here to help.
We are committed to helping you understand your responsibilities as an employer. Many questions about pay may be answered by using the following elaws (Employment Laws Assistance for Workers and Small Businesses) Advisors:
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage and Employment Status Advisor
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Hours Worked Advisor
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Overtime Calculator Advisor
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Overtime Security Advisor
For additional assistance, please contact:
- The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) of the U.S. Department of Labor: 1-866-4-US-WAGE (1-866-487-9243)
- Your state Labor Office
All discussions with us are free and confidential.Learn about WHD